The Student Usage by Day report is also referred to as an Attendance report since it reports time spent in courses by day. This report is also referred to Idle Time report since it reports idle time for a student by day.
To Run an Overall Usage Report:
- Select Other Reports from the Main Menu, then select Student Usage by Day.
- Select the Input Criteria prior to generating the report (see table below). Note: Administrators and Teachers select from different input criteria.
Setting Options Domain This single-select list displays the current domain and all domain names under the domain where the report is run. Default selection is the current domain where the user is logged in. If the report is run from a district, the district and all school/programs in the district will display alphabetically in the list. If the report is run from a school/program, only the school/program will display in the list. Select a district to generate a district report. Teacher This is a multi-select list of teacher/teacher-author names in Last Name, First Name format for the selected domain(s) above. By not selecting a teacher, the report will be generated for all teachers. Teacher IDs are provided after the name to differentiate between teachers with the same name. Selecting a district will not display all teachers in the district. Default should be All. Student This is a multi-select list of students in Last Name, First Name format for the selected domain(s) above. By not selecting a student, the report will be generated for all students. Student IDs are provided after the name to differentiate between students with the same name. If teachers and students are selected, the report will display courses where at least one of the teachers and one student are both enrolled. Selecting a district will not display all students in the district. Default is All. Enrollment Status This is a single-select list that will display student activity for courses with a selected enrollment status. Default is All. Course Status Active course will include all Continuous courses and Traditional courses where the current date falls in the course start and end date range. Selections are All, Active, and Inactive. Default is All. Start Date - End Date Specifying a date range displays time spent for activities worked on during that date range, as long as the activity launched on that start date and the course enrollment is active for the specified date range. Display By There are three options: by Course, Student (default), by Student, Course and by Student. Depending on the user selection, the information displays time spent by day for students in a course (by course/student) or for students across all courses. Export Options Export options of HTML, PDF,XLS, and DOC are available. Default is PDF.
- Select an export option, then select Submit.
Reading the Student Usage by Day Report
|Date||The date is based on the student's time zone.|
Time in Course
|This provides the total time spent in the course by day for student, course, or student display option. If by student display option is selected, this column displays the total time spent across all courses for that student on that day.|
|This column displays when By student option is selected and is the total time the student is on the system but not working on coursework. Online Time is Time in Course + Idle Time. For example, a student may be logged on for 125 minutes but only been in coursework for 50 minutes. The idle time is then reported as 75 minutes.|
Notes on the Student Usage by Day Report
- If an Administrator runs a report for certain teachers, only the courses taught by that teacher will display. If the teacher is enrolled in the course as a student, that course will not display as taught by that teacher.
- Time in content for an activity that was deleted in the course will not display on the report.
- Students who have saved assessments that were not submitted will not display even if the assessment was saved during the time range specified. Assessments are only displayed when they are submitted.
- The date range filters on the activity end date. If a student launched an activity on 8/30/18 at 11 pm and worked in it for a couple of hours, the activity will span two dates of 8/30/18 and 8/31/18. If the teacher runs the student usage by day report for a date range of 8/30/18 to 8/30/18, the activity will not display since the activity end date is 8/31/18.
- If a student logs in at 11:55 pm on 8/30/18 and logs out at 12:08 am on 8/31/18, online time will display as 5 minutes for 8/30/18 and 8 minutes on 8/31/18.
- Idle Time is calculated as Online Time minus Time spent in course.
- Submission date for manually graded items is the date the teacher scored the activity. When a student submits an activity, the activity status is Submitted – this is submission number 1. Submission number is incremented by 1 when the teacher scores the activity.
- Running the report for Student option and Export option of CSV provides Time Online and Time in Course. Idle Time for the day is Time Online – Time in Course. Running this report in excel can allow teachers to add computed values of %Idle Time which is Idle Time/Time Online * 100. Note: Time online is only accurate for Display by option of Student. For Student, Course and Course, Student options, this column in the excel file should be ignored.
- Run Critical Alerts Report
- Run Overall Usage Report
- Run Student Activity Details Report
- Run Student Activity Summary Report
- Run BASI Performance Report
- Run Course Details Report
- Run User Details Report