The Student Usage by Day report is also called an Attendance report since it reports time spent in courses by day. This report is also referred to as the Idle Time report since it reports idle time for a student by day.
To Run a Student Usage by Day Report:
- Select Other Reports- Updated from the Main Menu, then select Student Usage by Day.
Important: If you need to run a report containing data prior to June 30th, 2021, you must use the version of this report located under Other Reports from the Main Menu. This version of Other Reports is only available to users with Admin permissions. Key differences in the report under Other Reports and the report described in this article are:
- The Other Reports version has an Active/Inactive course filter. The report in this article does not have this filter and automatically pulls both course types.
- The version in this article has Generate Report or Download Report options that do not exist in the Other Reports version of this report.
- Select the Input Criteria prior to generating the report (see table below). Note: Administrators and teachers select from different input criteria.
This single select list will display the current domain and all domain names under the domain where the report is being run. If the district domain is selected, only the users at the district level will be displayed in an alphabetical list under teachers and students, and only data for those users will be included in the results. School or Program subdomains must be run in a separate report by selecting subdomains individually. Running this report for a large district or school may timeout due to the amount of data the report needs to display. For those scenarios, Pearson recommends running the report for 50 teachers or 50 students at a time, depending on the user report need.
This is a multi-select list of teacher/teacher-author names in Last Name, First Name format for the selected domain(s) above. By not selecting a teacher, the report will be generated for all teachers. Teacher IDs are provided after the name to differentiate between teachers with the same name.
This is a multi-select list of students in Last Name, First Name format for the selected domain(s) above. By not selecting a student, the report will be generated for all students. Student IDs are provided after the name to differentiate between students with the same name.
If teachers and students are selected, the report will show courses where at least one of the teachers and one of the students are enrolled.
This is a single select list that will display student activity for courses with a selected enrollment status. Default is Active.
Start Date – End Date
Specifying a date range displays usage within the date range. A date range must be included and the start date must be on or before June 30, 2021. The report includes the time spent on activities worked on during that date range, if the activity was launched on that start date and the course enrollment is active for the specified date range.
There are three options– by Course, Student (default), by Student, Course, and by Student. Depending on the user selection, the information displays time spent by day for students in a course (by course, student),or all courses for a student (by student, course), or for students across all courses.
Export options of HTML, PDF, XLSX, and DOCX are available. Default is CSV.
- Select an export option, then select Submit.
Reading the Student Usage by Day Report
|The date is based on the student's time zone.
Time in Course
|This provides the total time spent in the course by day for student, course, or student display option. If by student display option is selected, this column displays the total time spent across all courses for that student on that day.
|This column is shown when the Display by Student option is selected and is the total time the student is on the system but not working on coursework. Online Time is Time in Course + Idle Time. For example, a student may be logged on for 125 minutes but only been in coursework for 50 minutes. The idle time is then reported as 75 minutes.
Notes on the Student Usage by Day Report
- This single select list will display the current domain and all domain names under the domain where the report is being run. If the district domain is selected, only the users at the district level will be displayed in an alphabetical list under teachers and students, and only data for those users will be included in the results. School or Program subdomains must be run in a separate report by selecting subdomains individually. Running this report for a large district or school may timeout due to the amount of data the report needs to display. Pearson recommends running the report for 50 teachers or 50 students at a time for those scenarios, depending on the user report need.
- If an administrator runs a report for a specific teacher(s), only the courses taught by that teacher(s) will be displayed. If the teacher is enrolled in the course as a student, that course will not display as taught by that teacher.
- Clicking on the Generate Report button a second time with the same filters within two hours will lead to a choice; a Regenerate Report button and Download Report button will appear. Pressing the Regenerate Report button will rerun the same report. The Download Report button will allow you to view the already generated report without waiting.
- Students who have saved assessments that still need to be submitted will not be displayed even if the assessment was saved during the time range specified. Assessments are only displayed when they are submitted.
- The date range filters on the activity end date. If a student launched an activity on 8/30/23 at 11 p.m. and worked on it for a couple of hours, the activity will span two dates: 8/30/23 and 8/31/23. If the teacher runs the Student Usage by Day report for a date range of 8/30/23 to 8/30/23, the activity will not display since the activity end date is 8/31/23.
- If a student logs in at 11:55 p.m. on 8/30/23 and logs out at 12:08 a.m. on 8/31/23, online time will display as 5 minutes for 8/30/23 and 8 minutes for 8/31/23.
- The submission date for manually graded items is the date the teacher scored the activity. When a student submits an activity, the activity status is Submitted – this is submission number 1. The submission number is increased by 1 when the teacher scores the activity.
- The XLSX output displays time as seconds, as this time format is easier to import into other systems and formats to meet multiple customer needs. All other printable report formats display time in HH:MM:SS format.
- If a student does not appear in the list, they may be set as an observer to another user by mistake, or their user account is inactive. Correct that error to populate the student in the filter list.
- Run Critical Alerts Report
- Run Overall Usage Report
- Run Student Activity Details Report
- Run Student Activity Summary Report
- Run BASI Performance Report
- Run Course Details Report
- Run User Details Report