The Overall Usage report provides an aggregate of online time and time in courses for students. Sites can use this report for the following purposes:
- student usage
- attendance for a specified date range
- determine which students have never logged in the system
To Run an Overall Usage Report:
- Select Other Reports from the Main Menu, then select Overall Usage.
- Select the Input Criteria prior to generating the report (see table below). Note: Administrators and Teachers select from different input criteria.
Setting Options Domain This single-select list displays the current domain and all domain names under the domain where the report is run. Default selection is the current domain where the user is logged in. If the report is run from a district, the district and all school/programs in the district will display alphabetically in the list. If the report is run from a school/program, only the school/program will display in the list. Select a district to generate a district report. Teacher This is a multi-select list of teacher/teacher-author names in Last Name, First Name format for the selected domain(s) above. By not selecting a teacher, the report will be generated for all teachers. Teacher IDs are provided after the name to differentiate between teachers with the same name. Selecting a district will not display all teachers in the district. Default should be All. Student This is a multi-select list of students in Last Name, First Name format for the selected domain(s) above. By not selecting a student, the report will be generated for all students. Student IDs are provided after the name to differentiate between students with the same name. If teachers and students are selected, the report will display courses where at least one of the teachers and one student are both enrolled. Selecting a district will not display all students in the district. Default is All. Start Date - End Date Specifying a date range displays usage within the date range. Leaving the date range blank will show all usage since the launch this Pearson site. Show Show students with usage: all students who have logged in within the date range. Show all students: students who have logged in within the date range and students who have never logged in. Export Options Export options of HTML, PDF,XLS, and DOC are available. Default is PDF.
- Select an export option and then select Submit.
Reading the Overall Usage Report
|Description||This is any text entered by an Administrator in the description field for the user profile.|
|Text Number||A text number specified in the personal information for the user.|
|External ID||An external ID specified by an Administrator. Usually, Admins enter an SIS ID number as an external ID.|
|First Login Date||The first time the user logged in to Pearson Online School. A blank means the user has never logged in.|
|Last Login Date||The last time the user logged in. A blank means the user has never logged in.|
|Total Online Time||The total time the user has been online in the system.|
|Total # of sessions||The number of times the user has logged in.|
|Total Course Time||The total time the user spent working in course activities. There is an automatic logout after 60 minutes of inactivity so course time should closely mirror time students spent in their courses.|
|Total Idle Time||The time students did not spend working in their courses but were online. Computed as Total Online time - Total Course Time.|
|# of courses with Activity||Represents the number of courses for which students had activity in.|
Notes on Overall Usage Report
- Administrators can generate the report in Excel and sort by first login date. All records with first login date as blank will indicate students who have never logged in.
- If a student has logged in for the first time and the report is generated almost immediately after that login, First and Last Login Date may show an incorrect date and times of 00:15:00. This date and time will display correctly if the report is generated minutes after the student logged in for the first time.
- If a student was transferred to the site, the login information is not transferred but their course activity is transferred. If the report is generated before the student logs in to the new site, the course activity will show a value but either online time will display as 0 or online time will be less than the course time.
- The report looks at domain permissions, (and not enrollment permissions), to determine if the user is a student.
- Assessments that are saved will not display time until they are submitted. For example, if an assessment was saved on 03/01/2018 and submitted on 03/05/2018, the course activity time will display for a date range of 03/05/2018 to 03/05/2018 but not for a date range of 03/01/2018 to 03/01/2018.