WebMail provides platform-based messaging capabilities to support interactions between students, Teachers, and Administrators who have active course enrollments. This document provides instructions for using WebMail by explaining its basic functions: View, Compose, Reply, and Delete.
Users, Roles, and Prerequisites
- WebMail is available to administrative users without requiring active enrollments.
- WebMail is available to Teachers, students, and Administrators who have active enrollments.
- Teachers can send WebMail messages to students enrolled in courses they teach, other teachers, and school/site Administrators.
- Users with both an Administrator role and a Teacher role can send WebMail messages to students who are enrolled in the course(s) they teach and to other Teachers at their school when they log in.
- Enrolled students can only send WebMail messages to their Teachers and Administrators.
- Users access WebMail using the WebMail icon on the Main Menu.
- Teachers can also send WebMail messages to students from the Enrollments tool if they are currently enrolled to teach at least one course.
- Administrators can send WebMail messages to students enrolled at their domain from the Enrollments tool.
- Teachers and students must be currently enrolled to send and receive WebMail messages to one another.
- Students cannot send WebMail messages to other students.
- The best practice for managing WebMail messages is to regularly read and manage them.
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled for Webmail to launch in a separate tab.
View WebMail Messages
WebMail messages are grouped by messages received (Inbox), messages sent (Sent), and messages categorized (initiated by user).
- Select the WebMail tool from the Main Menu.
The Inbox displays, as shown below.
- Filter by the From, Subject, or Sent columns for WebMail messages.
View the Sent or Categorized messages by selecting Inbox, Sent Messages, or Deleted.
- The messages are displayed in a paginated view (50 messages per page). To scroll through the messages, use the arrow keys on the screen to go forward or backward.
Read a WebMail Message
Users may select a message to read from the list of WebMail messages in the Inbox, Sent, or Deleted folders. To read a message, follow the steps below.
- From the folder, select a message to read. The message content opens for display in the main window pane.
- Select Show Details to view the full list of recipients (To, CC, and BCC fields). Select Hide Details to hide the fields.
- Select the X in the upper right corner to close the message and navigate back to the folder.
Compose a New WebMail Message
To compose a new WebMail message, select recipients from the Contact list. The contacts that display depend on the user's role in Pearson Connexus.
When logged in as a Teacher, the WebMail contact list will populate students who are enrolled in his or her courses. When logged in as an Administrator, the WebMail contact list will populate with all users at the domain selected.
To compose a WebMail message, follow the steps below:
- From the Message List view, select Compose Message.
- Select To in the Compose Message view to select recipients.
- The Contact List view will default to the user’s domain for Teachers and Administrators who have access to only one domain.
For Teachers and Administrators who have access to more than one domain, a domain selector is provided to filter contacts by domain. It will default to the domain at which the user is logged in. Users also have the option to manually type in the domain name or ID.
Once a domain is selected, the contacts are grouped by Students, Teachers, and Administration. Select one of the mailing groups to view contacts.
Note: Users with multiple domain roles (e.g., Teacher and Admin) will appear in each mailing group.
If domain permissions are not assigned to a user and the user is not enrolled in any courses, the system considers the user an unenrolled student.
Select Show Advanced Filters (optional) to refine the filtered results.
- Search the contacts within the mailing group by name or ID.
- Apply a secondary filter by Course. This will only display if there are courses at the domain. Users can select multiple courses from the dropdown menu. The results will display contacts that are enrolled in those courses.
From the list displayed, users can do one of the following:
- Select individual contacts to add to the recipient list.
- Select Select All to add the displayed contacts to the recipient list.
- Select Clear to remove selected recipient(s) from the list.
- Select the Compact view tool icon to increase the number of profile cards on display.
- Select the Comfy view tool icon to reduce the number of profile cards on display.
Select Select Recipients to add these contacts to the recipient list.
Note: The total number of selected recipients on a single WebMail message cannot exceed 5,000. Messages with over 100 recipients may take longer to process for sending.
Use the Announcement tool to deliver a message to an entire domain:
- Select recipients to add to the CC: or BCC: fields, if necessary.
- Once the message text is complete, select Send Message to deliver the message to the selected recipients. At least one recipient and a subject line are required to send a message.
- Select Cancel to close the New Message view and return to the Message List view.
Reply to a WebMail Message
Communicate with others by reading and responding to WebMail messages. After reading a message, send a reply by following the steps below.
- Within an open message, select Reply or Reply All to open the compose view. The compose view includes the original message with the subject pre-populated, original recipient name(s), and the original date of the message. Note: If multiple students are recipients of the original message, they will be added to the Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) field so that students cannot view the names of other students when they use Reply All.
- Enter a response in the message body section. Change the font, bold or italicize words, and alter other aspects of the text using the visual editor toolbar.
- Select Cancel to end the reply process and return to the original message.
- Once the reply is complete, select Send Message to deliver the message.
Select Show Advanced Filters (optional) to refine the filtered results of messages.
- Search the contacts within the mailing group by name or ID.
- Apply a secondary filter by Course. This will only display if there are courses at the domain. Users can select multiple courses from the drop-down menu. The results will display contacts that are enrolled in those courses.
Delete an Individual Open WebMail Message
Users can discard messages that are no longer needed to help keep their inboxes organized and allow them to focus on the important messages they wish to keep in their list view. Once a message is deleted, it will be removed from the Inbox and moved to the Deleted folder.
- Within an open message, select Delete to remove the message from the Inbox view.
- A prompt will appear to confirm the message deletion. Select Delete again to proceed.
- Select Cancel to end the delete process and return to the original message.
- Once the deletion is complete, the Inbox view displays again where and the message will no longer appear.
Delete Multiple WebMail Messages
- From the Inbox view, select one or more messages to permanently remove from the Inbox. A count will appear within the Delete button to indicate how many messages have have selected.
- Select Delete to remove the message(s) from the Inbox.
- A prompt will appear to confirm the delete the message deletion(s). Select Delete again to proceed.
- Select Cancel to end the delete process and return to your inbox.
- Once the deletion is complete, the Inbox view displays again where the message(s) will no longer appear.