Create metadata fields that allows an administrator to record and track additional information about a course.
Create Course Metadata Fields
- Open Domain Settings.
- On the Metadata for courses card, select Add.
Important: The existing metadata fields: Subject, Subject Area, and Academic Level should not be modified in the the Metadata for courses card. Doing so may affect the functionality of tools within a course.
- Provide the following:
- Name: This names the field behind-the-scenes and is not visible to the users.
- Title: This appears wherever the metadata appears for users to complete.
- Input Type: This specifies how you want users to provide the metadata. Different input types require you to provide different information on this window.
- Default: This defines the state or content that you want present in the field when users first encounter it and is recorded and treated as metadata if it isn't changed (e.g., you may want a True/false field to record False unless changed by a user).
- Indicate which options you want to apply:
- Visible to teacher: Check this box if you want teachers to be able to record and change Course Metadata. If you don't check this box, the field is only visible to admins.
- Read-only in subdomains: Check this box if you want the metadata to appear in subdomains, but not be editable.
- Hidden in subdomains: Check this box if you don't want the metadata to appear in subdomains.
- Required when editing: Check this box if you want the field to be required.
- Include metadata filter in list view: Check this box if you want this to appear as a filter various screens in the Admin app. If you select this, you can also:
- Indicate the List-view column width (in pixels).
- Indicate whether you want to Include metadata filter in list view and, if so, provide the Default filter value. If you do not specify a value, then the list is not filtered by that metadata field.
- Select Done and Save.
To include Metadata in List View at the domain
- Go to Domain Settings.
- Scroll to Metadata for courses.
- Select the Metadata field you wish to include (e.g., Teacher Type).
- A new window will appear. Select the checkbox for "Include metadata column in list view." Add 150 for column width in the new line that appears.
- Select Done then Save and refresh the browser.
- View of end result.
Where do Course Metadata fields appear?
- Create Course screen
- Edit Course screen
For Teachers when visible:
- Course Settings
- Create Course screen
Which screens are impacted by enhanced Course metadata?
Selecting the Include metadata column in list view option makes the filter display on the following screens:
- the Courses tool list
- the Course settings editor
- the Course pickers that appear in Create Enrollment screens and Report creation screens: