Use the Manage Groups feature to remove the guesswork from directing group work.
A Teacher can group the same class in various ways to meet different needs. Each different grouping is called a Grouping.
You can use groups to connect students according to performance, send group messages, assign group activities, create quick group intervention tasks, assign group grades, award group badges, and filter your list views with them.
Create and edit groupings
To access, create, edit, and manage groups, open the Manage Groupings screen:
- Select the People tool from the desired course on the Home page.
- Select Tools in the Header menu and select Manage groupings.
- From this screen, you can:
- Select the Grouping you want to edit.
- Select the Copy grouping button next to a grouping you want to duplicate.
- Select the Delete grouping button next to a grouping you want to eliminate.
- Select Add grouping to create a new grouping.
The Create and edit groupings section above shows you how to access the Edit Grouping screen. With this screen, you can:
- Edit the grouping Name.
- Choose to limit each person to membership in one group.
- Choose how to display student performance (this selection impacts some of the Group Assignment options in the Generate Groups screen):
- Select Show course % to use overall performance.
- Select Show activity % and choose the desired course in the dropdown menu that displays next to it to use performance on a specific activity.
- Add Groups to the grouping.
- Clear All students from the assigned groups.
- Automatically Generate Groups.
- Edit group names by clicking the pencil icon (edit).
- Delete groups by selecting the garbage can icon (delete).
- Move students between groups by clicking the cell that aligns with the student and the group you want to place them in.
- Save all changes.
Automatically Generate Groups
Use Pearson Connexus to automatically divide students into groups:
- Select the People tool from the desired course card on the Home page.
- Select Tools in the Header menu and then select Manage groups.
- Select Add grouping.
- Enter a Group prefix; each group that is generated uses this prefix and a number to indicate that they’re part of this Group Set.
- Choose your Group creation method.
- If you choose Fixed number of groups, you need to specify the number of groups.
- If you choose Target number of students per group, you need to specify the number of students per group.
- Choose the desired Group assignment method from the dropdown list:
- Random assignment.
- Round Robin assigns the first student in the list to the first group, the second student to the second group, and so on. If there are only three groups, the fourth student is assigned to the first group, the fifth student to the second, and so on.
- Alphabetical by first name.
- Homogeneous by performance groups students with those who have the most similar score.
- Heterogeneous by performance evenly distributes performance, so groups end up with a balanced range of scores.
- Heterogeneous by performance - Top/Bottom groups the highest-scoring students with the lowest-scoring, then the next highest with the next lowest, and so on.
- Heterogeneous by performance - 1st Q/3rd Q; 2nd Q/4th Q groups highest-scoring students with next-to-lowest-scoring students, then next-to-highest-scoring students with the next lowest-scoring, and so on.
- Select Generate.
Generate groups using Show course % vs. Show activity %
Pearson Connexus gives you the option of generating groups using:
- Show course % to use overall performance.
- Show activity % to use performance on a specific activity. This options requires you to select the desired course in the drop-down that appears.
To change this setting, select the desired radio button, then select Generate Groups.
Tips and additional articles:
- A user can also create and manage groups when setting up group assignments in the Editor tool.
- Create and Grade Group Assignments
- Assessment Settings, Pacing, and Hiding Content by Group