Learning objectives are statements that describe what a student should learn, know, or be able to do after completing a learning activity. Objectives can be defined by organizations, schools, course authors, etc. Most U.S. states define standard objectives in K–12 subjects, but not all states define the same sets of objectives.
Add objectives as part of an Objective Set, which is a collection of objectives that belong together. This helps organize your objectives, as you may need different sets for different purposes (e.g., you may want to include standard objectives from two different states).
Once set up, align activities and questions to objectives to track student mastery of the objectives.
To make objectives available in a course:
- Create an Objective Set.
- Add objectives to the Objective Set.
- Add that objective set to Course Options in the Domain Settings.
To create an Objective Set:
- Select the Objectives tool from the Main Menu.
- Within the Objective Sets tab, select New (plus sign) from the Header menu. Note: To make changes to an existing objective set, select Edit. To remove a set, check its box and then select More from the Header menu. Next, select Delete.
- Provide a Name, External ID (optional), and Owner (optional).
- Check the Inherit box to have these objectives display in child domains or subdomains.
- Select Create .
- Select the Objective Set ID
- From this screen:
- Select Add from the Header menu to create new objectives.
- Select More from the Header menu, then select Import to choose a tab-delimited or comma-separated file of objectives to import.
If you selected Add:
- Provide or generate a GUID for the objective if it is going to be used as a scored outcome.
- ID: The category or type of skill the objective represents (e.g., communication, collaboration, critical thinking, etc.,).
- Title: Outlines the objective.
- Subject: The subject(s) to which the objective relates (e.g., English, Math, Art, etc.).
- External ID: Any ID needed to align the objective with an external program or application.
- Grades: The grade(s) for which the objective is relevant.
- Parent: If the objective has a parent objective, its GUID is included here.
- Select Create.
Once an objective is created, you can:
- Check its box and Delete it.
- Highlight and copy the GUID to add it to a course.
- Select Edit to make changes.
- All changes impact subdomains.
- To align the same activity with objectives from two different objective sets, you can align them by creating an objective map.
- Once objectives are added to the domain, they can be imported into courses.