Elevate Data Sync can connect via OneRoster API versions 1.0, 1.1, or 1.2. The information you will need to provide is:
- API Server URL
- OneRoster version
- Authentication type (ie, OAuth 2)
- Consumer ID
- Consumer Secret
- Access Token URL
If you’re uncertain how to get these in your specific SIS, you may need to request help from your SIS vendor’s support.
Please ensure that the Unified Classroom plugin is active in your PowerSchool SIS environment. This is typically required to extend the native functionality of PowerSchool to enable OneRoster API connection.
OneRoster CSV file uploads
The full details about the OneRoster specification for files can be found at the 1EdTech (formerly IMS Global) website: https://www.imsglobal.org/oneroster-v11-final-csv-tables
For the OneRoster v1.1 format, the required CSV files must be exchanged as a zip file. This zip file should contain the CSV files at the root level and not within an enclosing directory. The zip file will be exchanged using Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP), so password protection is not necessary.
The specific files that are needed for integration with Pearson include the manifest.csv, academicSessions.csv, classes.csv, courses.csv, enrollments.csv, orgs.csv, and users.csv files in bulk format.
Key OneRoster v1.1 standard requirements for CSV files are:
- CSV files must be UTF-8 encoded
- header rows are required for all CSV files
- header fields are case sensitive and must appear in the order defined in the OneRoster specification linked above
- carriage-returns are not permitted within a field
- fields containing commas and double-quotes must be enclosed in double-quotes
- if double-quotes are used to enclose a field, then a double-quote appearing inside the field must be escaped by preceding it with another double-quote
- all fields representing CSV files should either be “bulk” (for the required and included files) or “absent” (for files not required or included)
- the CourseCode column should contain the same IDs that were included in the course mapping document when it was returned to your DSP
- identifier should be included despite not being required by OneRoster specification
- double-check the dependencies listed in the 1EdTech specification; if you update an ID in one file, it may impact the connection with a different file
For the full list of column headers, required fields, and data formats in the OneRoster v1.1 formatted CSV files, see sections 3.1 - 3.14 in the 1EdTech Specification.
Uploading to Elevate Data Sync
Finalized CSV files will need to be uploaded nightly to the Elevate Data Sync / Kimono server. Credentials for the data storage location will be provided as soon as they’re available. This is typically shortly after the data authorization is returned to Elevate Data Sync and their initial setup is completed.
Login credentials will be unique per district and no district will have access to another district’s data. The server will be one of two possible URLs (listed below). The specific server to use will be provided along with the login credentials.